26 May 2005

SP5 Questionnaire

I just got my e-mail saying I'm all set up for Secret Pal 5 (commence smiling from ear to ear). So I wanted to fill out the little list of questions...

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
Because of my fairly minuscule budget, I pretend that it's all the same, but the only kind of acrylic I really like is Caron Simply Soft (because it is). I love wool of all varieties, and variegated/self-striping sock yarn is my new best friend.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I do crochet, and my mom and I are planning on learning how to spin this summer; she's still in school, teaching first grade, so we probably won't start until mid-June.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I feel like a wimp, but dust allergies kick my butt. Plus also cats, even though I think they're super cute.

4. How long have you been knitting?
Four years. My college housemates and I picked up the habit freshman year, and we've been having impromptu couch-lounging, movie-watching, knitting parties ever since.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have one with Froogle, and there's a link to it in my (currently pictureless) profile.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
When it comes to putting smells on myself, I'm a huge fan of anything citrusy and fresh. If it's for a candle or larger area of the house, I like lavender and strawberry.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Absolutely, and it loves anything made out of custard :) Caramel is super, too.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I'm trying to improve my sewing skills and do justice to the fantastic machine I got last Christmas. I also like to relieve stress by coloring with markers - my friends get lots of embellished letters and cards. I enjoy crafts that allow me to work with strong, saturated colors, so I prefer markers to colored pencils or crayons and I make most of my cards out of construction paper.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Country, country, and more country! But I do tend to avoid the really twangy stuff and lean more towards Shania Twain/Dixie Chicks/Kenny Chesney style music. I also like bluegrass (Nickel Creek) and artists/groups that use interesting minor chords with acoustic guitar and piano (John Mayer, Maroon 5, Jamie Cullum). And I have a weakness for clever rap, so I enjoy Black Eyed Peas and, on occasion, even Eminem. And even though that sounds like I have really specific tastes, I'm always open to new kinds of music!

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Blue all the way... I don't think I've ever met a shade of blue I haven't liked, from navy to steel to periwinkle to day-glo. I also like really rosy pinks and raspberries. I don't like most shades of brown, orange, or cream, and olive-ish greens are vile :)

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am the oldest of 4 kids in my family, and this summer we're all home with my parents in sunny California. We always have an assortment of goldfish, and there is currently a charming hamster named Little Boy (not so creative with the names, oh well) living above our tv.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
I want to be happy :) That also involves getting my PhD and becoming a college professor, but being happy with myself, friends, family, work, and knitting projects galore is the ultimate goal.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
So far, Regia self-striping sock yarn. It's mesmerizing! The KNitPicks stuff is running a close second.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Truly squeaky acrylic = Truly dreadful. And fun fur reminds me too much of freaky wild animals who had unfortunate run-ins with the Easter Bunny's dye factory. Anything else is A-ok.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Socks and Glampyre Stefanie's top-down raglan pattern

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Scarves, because I always love to have more than one in my room, giving myself options for how to keep warm!

17. What are you knitting right now?
I have nothing on the needles because I was so productive today. Tomorrow will be another sock, I'm sure.

18. What do you think about ponchos?
I think they're done for the moment, but could resurface at any time, without warning. When it happens, I'll try not to miss the boat again (my sister was very disappointed I didn't make her one during the huge craze).

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Mostly straights, and especially dpns. Circulars just don't look vicious enough...

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Aluminum!!! clickety click click. It gives me the same satisfying feeling as typing a paper on a noisy keyboard.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
Ayup.

22. How did you learn to knit?
I had several brilliant teachers freshman year. Two housemates got me started, and another housemate's mother helped fill in the details. It was all going well until just a year and a half ago I got the (fantastic) Stitch and Bitch book and realized I was purling wrong and twisting all of my stockinette stitches. Oopsies... My finished fabrics look a lot more even now, and lace patterns have holes in the right places :)

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
2.5 years. And it's because of the twisted stitches thing. I just can't bring myself to finish the other pieces of the pullover by knitting wrong the whole time. I also can't bear to frog the back, since it's the first thing I made that wasn't a scarf. Let's just call it a souvenir instead of a UFO.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS!!!

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween, no question. My mom always sewed all of our costumes, and we go all out to decorate the house and scare the candy-collectors.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Unintentionally, Stationery! I'm so horrible about using it because I like to hoard all of the really nice stuff for myself. Nothing on purpose, though.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None, but I buy Interweave when there are projects that stand out.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Not at the moment, but I'll let you know if I see anything :)

This was fun - I'm really looking forward to the Secret Pal process!!!

3 comments:

Vigilant Machine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vigilant Machine said...

Allison, will you please send me an email sometime in the near future? Thursday was a long time ago.

Unknown said...

Hi,

You have a nice blog. I just thought of mentioning about this website www.dustmitesallergies.org. They seem to offer specialized advice of dust mites allergies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...