05 October 2012

FO: Homely

My couch throw pillows used to be red. Now they are about 10x more awesome because not only are they a neutral, calming shade of off-white, but they are also knitted.

You can see that before this marvelous change took place, Gus would frequently give me the evil eye as his way of encouraging me to hurry up and make the pillows more pretty. The afghan was not made by me, but my mom's friend gave it to her, and it is very lovely.


A close up. Ooh. Aah.


Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick super bulky in the Wheat colorway. I think it was probably a total of 4 skeins, but the first three came from a scarf I bought at a local thrift store and unraveled.  Total yarn cost was $7.99 because the one skein I had to purchase was on sale. This worked out to be way less expensive than purchasing new throw pillows, plus I get to be proud of my domestic skillz (yes, when I am talking about domestic ability, the z is necessary).
Needles: US 13s
Pattern: none. I cast on 40 stitches and knit in stockinette until the resulting rectangle was long enough to fit around the whole pillow. I did mattress stitch on the two sides and what I am calling a decorative seam along the top/bottom.


Verdict: I love the look of oversized knitted texture, the neutral shade is a better fit for the bold graphic background of my Ikea couch, and I feel resourceful.  These pillows are definitely a success.  Furthermore, Gus approves!


Next up, bulky yarn and a fast (I hope. Haven't really started yet) sweater vest...

2 comments:

kathy b said...

Gus just must be a more regular blog image!!!
LOVE YOUR PILLOWS. I wonder if i could duplicate them........so pretty

Erin Kate said...

Love it! What a nice simple project.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...