30 May 2008

Secret Pal 12 Quiz

Text only this time, though I've got 2 FOs to share this weekend.

It's been a long time since I've joined a Secret Pal exchange, but it's so much fun, and I'm excited to join up again!
Here's the little quiz for SP12; I hope my pal will find it helpful :)

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love wool, cotton, and linen - any sort of natural fiber, I guess. I'm partial to superwash sock yarns and worsted weight, mostly because I haven't done too much bulky or laceweight knitting (though I'm willing to try!).
I'm not a huge fan of straight acrylic, though blends are generally fine, and while I'm not allergic to angora, the stray fibers make my nose itchy, so I don't usually knit with it (even though it is so soft and squooshy).


2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I keep most of my needles and hooks in a vase on one of my bookshelves, and I have a Boye circular set with a zip case that holds all the circulars.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for 7 years now, ever since I learned from a housemate in my freshman year of college. I guess I am advanced, since I'm capable of doing complex projects, even though I usually choose simpler knits. Knitting is a study break and a big part of how I relax, so I usually have at least one straightforward project on the needles (socks, hat, scarf) even if I sometimes branch out to a more exciting piece (colorwork, lace pattern, big sweater).

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Nope. If it would be helpful for me to make one, just let me know.

5. What's your favorite scent?
Anything fresh - fruits and citrus especially!

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I have a sweet tooth. It is made of caramel. It is also maybe part peanut butter-chocolate.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I love to do mini home improvement projects (not much opportunity with apartment living, but I try), and I also crochet a bit. I like coloring with markers for fun, and I sew on occasion; I have a really nice machine, but it's at my parents' house in CA, and they don't want to pay a million dollars to mail it out here.
I have a spindle and I even have roving, but my first attempt at spinning was pretty wretched. I think I might do better if I had someone to walk me through it. Sometime in the future, I guess :)

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I will listen to anything and everything. I mostly listen to bluegrass, singer/songwriter stuff with acoustic guitar or piano, and vocal jazz. My computer works for CDs and MP3s, etc. I love using my mini mini iPod shuffle when I work out, so I have more pop and top 40 to listen to while I run.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Periwinkle, lime green, pink, steel blue, and khaki/cream colors are my favorites. There aren't any colors I hate, though bright bright orange is pushing it (unless it's with a sky blue, then it's ok). Nah, I like them all.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm currently dating a super Cute Boy, and I will probably be getting a cat when I move into a new place at the end of August. If I'm not brave enough for a kitty, I might settle for a goldfish instead.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I love scarves, hats, and mittens. Chicago winters are brutal!

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks, socks, and more socks. I also like armwarmers/fingerless mitts.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Right now I don't have too many things on the needles since I just finished 2 projects. I'm working on Glampyre's Orangina, a beaded change purse (though it's sort of tiny and fiddly so I am waiting until school is out to really put the time in to finish it), and I'm going to be starting a new pair of socks in the next week.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes :) They are my favorite kind to give and receive.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I love aluminum needles, because I find the clicking and clacking very comforting (I also like loud, ticking clocks). I use dpns for socks, but I like my circulars for sweater knitting - in the round! Hurrah! Straights are nice for scarves.
I guess my prefernces depend on the project.


16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Nope.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Oh gosh, 3 years old. It's a scarf I started when I came out to Chicago, and I've basically abandoned it in its little Ziploc bag. I should find something better to do with that yarn.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween and St. Patrick's Day. That may seem strange, but my parents really go all out with decorating and building Leprechaun traps, and I love having unusual holidays that are extra special in our family.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Do academic articles and books count? Heehee.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I actually have a subscription to Interweave Knits right now. In terms of yarn, I have never knit with Malabrigo or Koigu, and everyone raves about them. The yarn shop I know about in Chicago is sort of a pain to get to without a car, so I do most of my yarn shopping at Knit Picks.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Not that I can think of at the moment

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Ayup! I wear a US women's size 9 1/2.

23. When is your birthday?
December 15

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
I am indeed. I'm perknitious.

Thanks for reading - happy knitting, all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, on Ravelry, I will have to check that out too...SP12 Pal

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...