25 March 2010

Weigh in, please!

Hello, dear readers!
I could use your help deciding on a sweater pattern to knit with my new Dream in Color Starry yarn. As you may remember from last week, the yarn looks like this - deep brown, sparkly, and wonderful:

I think I can use it in patterns that call for either fingering weight or sport weight, since it's a bit on the heavy side of fingering. I have approx. 1350 yards, which should be enough for any of the patterns I've linked to below. But I can't decide what to knit! I've narrowed it down to four patterns, 2 cardigans and 2 pullovers. All of these sweaters have pros and cons, so I'm hoping I can get your input in the comments.

Cardigans
Honeybee Cardigan by Laura Chau. I would make the version with a longer body, though probably with 3/4 length sleeves. I like the lace, though I wonder if it would look too busy/fancy to be an everyday cardigan that I would just throw on over a t-shirt.

Abalone by Beata Jezek. I think it's beautiful and simple enough to really show off the yarn, but it doesn't close. With all the advantages that has for a flattering fit, it might make it less wearable.

Pullovers
Mary Jane by Sarah Johnson. Short sleeves, I think. I like the basic idea, and the puffed sleeves really appeal to me, but I'm not sure this would be flattering on my rather large bust.

The uninspiringly-named Jumper with shirred pattern on yoke from DROPS. I would modify this to have short sleeves. The shirring adds some visual interest for me and wouldn't obscure the yarn, making this a good option to replace my usual hoodies. I worry about the same issue as above.

So what would you knit? Would any of these sweaters look particularly good or bad in the yarn? Are there other patterns you think I should consider? Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oooh, I vote Mary Jane!! You can always add short rows to the bust, and the style looks really flattering.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...